Steamed Eggs are the one approach I make “arduous boiled” eggs anymore! They’re tremendous simple to arrange and there are countless methods to make use of them. They even make a nutritious noon snack!
Why Steam Eggs?
- They’re simple to peel.
- They cook dinner extra evenly.
- Eggs are extra tender.
The primary motive is that steamed eggs peel really easy! The egg shell peels away completely, it slides proper off with minimal effort. The primary time I attempted it years in the past I used to be amazed.
I bought so uninterested in egg shells sticking to conventional arduous boiled eggs, and I had tried every thing. Ice tub, salt, vinegar, baking soda, older eggs, and so forth.
I attempted each little trick the web mentioned it had and I’d nonetheless typically finish with scraggly, dimpled, bumpy, horribly misshapen and simply unhappy wanting boiled eggs. As a result of steadily the white simply stored sticking to the peel.
Fortunately, I stumbled on this technique and I’ve been hooked ever since. I felt like an actual chef as soon as I discovered this straightforward steamed egg trick.
I actually assume you’ll love this technique too, it’s one of the best ways to make “arduous boiled” eggs! Who doesn’t love a easy trick that may make issues simpler within the kitchen?
For those who occur to be on the lookout for Chinese language steamed eggs, these are a lot completely different from these plain complete eggs, you could find a recipe for these here.
You have to a steamer basket. I’ve just a few of those HERE that I exploit for eggs and steamed veggies on a regular basis.
For those who don’t personal a steamer basket, I extremely advocate investing in a single. I consider it as a kitchen important.
I’ve bought just a few cheaper ones in previous years they usually do are likely to rust and disintegrate.
You’ll additionally want a medium dimension pot or massive saucepan (about 4 quart).
How you can Steam Arduous Boiled Eggs
- Add water to pot: Add about 1-inch of water to a medium pot.
- Boil water, add steamer basket: Deliver water to a boil over medium-high warmth. Insert a steamer basket.
- Add eggs, cowl: Set eggs on steamer basket, cowl with lid.
- Steam to cook dinner: Let cook dinner 6 – quarter-hour to desired doneness (see instances under).
- Make ice tub: Whereas eggs are cooking fill a medium bowl with ice and water.
- Chill steamed eggs in ice tub: As soon as eggs are carried out cooking instantly switch to ice water to chill so eggs don’t proceed to cook dinner. Let relaxation for a minimum of a couple of minutes earlier than peeling, for chilly eggs relaxation a minimum of quarter-hour.
How Lengthy to Steam Eggs
- Eggs with runny yolks take 6 – 8 minutes.
- Almost set, vibrant yolks take 9 – 11 minutes.
- Absolutely cooked by way of yolks take 13 – quarter-hour (arduous boiled sort).
How you can Peel Arduous Steamed Eggs
Actually, you don’t have to do that any particular approach however among the best methods is to:
- Let cool a minimum of a couple of minutes in ice water.
- Crack the egg throughout.
- Roll alongside the countertop.
- Run below chilly water and peel the egg shell away.
Helpful Egg Slicer
- If you’re on the lookout for an egg slicer for steamed or arduous boiled eggs, I bought this plastic one at Ikea (pictured above. I consider it was round $3).
- I additionally simply purchased this chrome steel one HERE.
- Positive it’s simple to slice an egg however I like the right dimension and clear cuts you get with this little gadget. I’ve liked this stuff ever since I used to be a child!
- Deliver water to a boil earlier than you add the steamer basket (so you’ll be able to see when it has reached a boil) and earlier than you add the eggs.
- Use a timer. No guessing right here as a result of we will’t see what’s occurring contained in the egg shell. Start counting down as quickly as you’ve lined the pot with the lid.
- At excessive altitude go together with the upper instances listed. I’m at about 5,000+ ft and mine at all times take close to the higher instances.
- Preserve absolutely cooked steamed arduous boiled eggs saved within the fridge an an hermetic container as much as 1 week.
How you can Keep away from Inexperienced Egg Yolk?
- To keep away from that unappetizing darkish inexperienced exterior on the egg yolk simply watch out to not over-cook the eggs.
- Additionally you should definitely switch straight to ice water as soon as they’re carried out cooking so that they don’t proceed to cook dinner from the residual warmth.
Methods to Use Steamed Eggs
- Make Deviled Eggs.
- Put together a easy Egg Salad sandwich.
- Toss right into a Macaroni Salad or Potato Salad.
- Add to inexperienced salad, akin to a chef’s salad or cobb salad.
- Smash half an avocado, unfold over toast then prime with steamed egg slices.
- Smash egg with a fork in a bowl, drizzle with sizzling sauce akin to Frank’s.
That is one of the best ways to make “arduous boiled” eggs! They’re tremendous simple to peel, they cook dinner evenly, and the eggs are good and tender. A way you are certain to show to repeatedly.
Add about 1-inch of water to a medium pot (just under top of steamer basket).
Deliver water to a boil over medium-high warmth. Insert a steamer basket (legs of basket ought to be propped up if it has collapsable legs).
Set eggs on steamer basket, cowl with lid instantly (depart pot set on medium-high warmth).
Let cook dinner 6 – quarter-hour to desired doneness*. Runny yolks take 6 – 8 minutes, practically set yolks are about 9 – 11 minutes, and absolutely cooked by way of yolks take about 13 – quarter-hour (arduous boiled sort).
Whereas eggs are cooking fill a medium bowl with ice and water.
As soon as eggs are carried out cooking instantly switch to ice water to chill so eggs do not proceed to cook dinner. Let relaxation for a minimum of a couple of minutes earlier than peeling, to sit back eggs by way of if most well-liked let relaxation a minimum of quarter-hour.
To peel the eggs simply crack throughout then roll on countertop. Run below chilly water and peel. Rinse away any particles of shells.
Retailer absolutely cooked by way of steamed eggs within the fridge an an hermetic container for as much as 1 week.
- Occasions range barely based mostly on altitude, egg dimension, temperature of eggs to start, pan dimension and so forth.
- You might discover it useful when making steamed eggs the primary few instances to cook dinner an additional egg (and rapidly lower open and take a look at for doneness) till you get to know the precise time you like.
- It is best to have the ability to steam as much as about 8 eggs in a medium pot in a single layer. A bigger pot can be utilized to cook dinner extra, cook dinner instances simply enhance by a couple of minutes.
Quantity Per Serving
Energy from Fats 45
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2g13%
Trans Fats 1g
Ldl cholesterol 186mg62%
Vitamin A 270IU5%
* % Each day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food regimen.